[bitcoin-dev] Block Size Debate Analogy / Workaround: Bitcoin is Like Windows 3.11

will binns will at trek.io
Sat Jun 27 15:09:43 UTC 2015

Hello all, I wanted to add another analogy here to this block size
debate, in case helpful. I understand some may not see it this way, so
apologies in advance if it ruffles anyone's feathers. In some ways,
however, to me at least - Bitcoin is like Windows 3.11. Before Bitcoin
everything was DOS - something completely disruptive and good for
society has come into the computing space that exponentially improves
upon almost everything in the space that existed before it. Now there is
a huge debate about if there should ever be a Windows 95, XP, Pro, etc.,
that scales better and makes advances over time, but doesn’t support
facets of older versions as it gets updated.  What will happen to 3.11
users/developers/etc. who don't upgrade that have money and/or important
tech tied into the 3.11 platform? Should it just be Windows 3.11 forever
except with better programs that continue to be built to run on it? Or,
should we agree to only change it if 100% of Windows users or Windows
developers agree on upgrading?

Regardless of what side we all stand on, I just want to point out that
this mailing list is full of incredibly brilliant minds leading the
charge into perhaps one of the greatest technical achievements in recent
decades. Maybe it would be a good idea for each side of the issue here
to democratically appoint a developer representative, and then allow the
representatives to achieve a framework and hammer out the details of the
solution together?

Hope you all have nice weekends,
Will

--
// will binns
// gpg fingerprint: 4519 7EB7 66A7 CC5E 4E66 F200 AF5C 2D1C E58E B37C