[bitcoin-dev] Mailing List Administrivia - GPG, Archives, Breakage, TODO, mirrors, etc

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 22:21:34 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 9:14 PM, Frank Flores <frankf44 at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you're going to go through the trouble of signing your public emails ...

... then you should also demand that the official archives of your
favorite lists preserve them and their verifiability in the supposedly
canonical reference "mbox" format that they distribute.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 7:47 AM, Wladimir J. van der Laan
<laanwj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Subject: [bitcoin-dev] New GPG signing key for Bitcoin Core binary releases

http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2015-June/009045.html
http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2015-June.txt.gz

As you can clearly see, both the HTML archives and the "mbox"
archives have corrupted this message, it will not verify. Do not
try to say this case is trivial, the problem itself is not trivial,
it's gratuitous, and it applies to all matching messages... text,
code, binary inline... that's dangerous.

Do not try to say this corruption prevents spam, it does not.
Spammers simply subscribe to the list and harvest everything
efficiently in realtime... no webcrawling overhead, no stale
addresses. Obfuscation is futile.

This misfeature needs to be disabled.

On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 5:35 PM, s7r <s7r at sky-ip.org> wrote:
> Do we have all the archives imported? I run several full nodes and
> mirrors for open source projects, if you think it's useful, I can
> provide a mirror for the mail list archives.

Yes... these other mirrors, archives, analysis, journalism, and
interfaces are useful. However, as it is now, there are no useful
authoritative sources for them to seed from... they're all corrupt.
And any subscribed realtime sources, though nice, are subject to
downtime, administrative and other unrecoverable gaps. Your mirror
project is a fine idea, you should demand that the pristine historical
sources be made publicly available. Not just for you, but for everyone.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015, grarpamp wrote:

As before, the current "mbox" archives are broken and not useful...

a) They corrupt message data, messages are unverifiable, another example...
   http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2015-June/009132.html
   http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2015-June.txt.gz
b) They are missing the minimum set of original headers necessary
   for fully replyable, threadable, sortable, searchable, context
   preserving and direct use by users MUA's in their local environment:
   (Date, From, To, Cc, Subject, Message-ID, In-Reply-To, References)
c) They do not include attachments (patches, signatures, images, crypto,
   data) that are absolutely necessary to the context and archives
   of all lists. Instead they stupidly throw them away to "web links"
   which results not only in uselessness of the so called "mbox"
   version, but in many thousands of needless fetches by archive
   users and indexers. And hours of wasted work attempting to
   postprocess them into usable form.
   Valuable content lost from the "mbox" files this June alone:
    418 attachment.html
    106 attachment.sig
      6 attachment.jpe
      4 attachment.png
      2 attachment.bin
d) There appear to be at least 15 instances of unescaped '^From '
   in the "mbox". Regeneration with current mailman may fix. One such
   case is here:
   http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2014-January/004245.html
   http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2014-January.txt.gz

Please fix all the above mentioned issues by providing the full raw
archives in regularly updated [gzip/7z] mbox format. The internet
thanks you :)

Example, compare the "Downloadable version"s here:
http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/
https://cpunks.org/pipermail/cypherpunks/
https://cpunks.org/pipermail/cypherpunks/2015-February/006820.html

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 2:45 PM, Andy Schroder <info at andyschroder.com> wrote:
> Regarding message footers and the subject prefix

Yes, they're also corruptive and space wasting clutter, for and by
the clueless :( Both of them should be turned off.