[bitcoin-dev] Original Vision

Mark Friedenbach mark at friedenbach.org
Sun Jun 28 16:15:28 UTC 2015

Assuming randomly-picked outputs, it's actually worse. The slowdown factor
has to do with the depth of the tree, and TXO and STXO trees are always
growing. It's still complexity O(log N), but with TXO/STXO N is the size of
the entire block chain history, whereas with UTXO it's just the set of
unspent transaction outputs.

Of course that's not a fair assumption since in an insertion-ordered tree
using the Merkle mountain range data structure would have significantly
shorter paths for recent outputs. But the average case might be about the
same, and it comes with a slew of other tradeoffs that make it hard to
compare head-to-head in the abstract. Ultimately both need to be written
and benchmarked.

But it is not the case that TXO/STXO gives you constant time updates. The
append-only TXO tree might be close to that, but you'd still need the spent
or unspent tree which is not insertion ordered. There are alternatives like
updating the TXO tree and requiring blocks and transactions to carry proofs
with them (so validators can be stateless), but that pushes the same
(worse, actually) problem to whoever generated or assembled the proof. It
may be a tradeoff worth making, but it's not an easy answer...