[bitcoin-dev] BIP: Full Replace-by-Fee deployment schedule

Luke Dashjr luke at dashjr.org
Mon Jun 29 05:51:55 UTC 2015

On Monday, June 29, 2015 5:43:13 AM Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 5:40 AM, Luke Dashjr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> > Policy is node/miner fiat and not the domain of BIPs.
>
> Even accepting the premise that policy is pure local fiat, the
> conclusion doesn't follow for me. BIPs about best practices or
> especially anything where interop or coordination are, I think,
> reasonable uses of the process.
>
> E.g. you might want to know what other kinds of policy are in use if
> you're to have any hope of authoring transactions that work at all!

Then we are to start issuing a new BIP for every node's policy? This has no
end - though it might make sense for an independent and updated database.
Mixing protocol standards with policy suggestions makes a very risky situation
where one can potentially hold a miner liable for not enforcing the BIP; ie,
government regulation of Bitcoin itself. I don't think most people want to go
there...

Luke