[bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin Core: The globally aware global consensus network

Michael Naber mickeybob at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 08:33:21 UTC 2015

Bitcoin is globally aware global consensus.

It means every node both knows about and agrees on every transaction.

Do we need global awareness of every transaction to run a worldwide payment network? Of course not! In fact the limits of today's technology probably would not even allow it.

Global awareness is a finite resource. That's okay; hub and spoke, or other clever designs are going to ensure we can run worldwide transactions without requiring global awareness. That's great!

But even if we have hub and spoke, we still need a "hub" at the center. Bitcoin Core needs to focus on being that hub. It needs to be the best globally aware global consensus network that we can build. Let's put aside our differences and focus on this goal.

Part of building the best network means ensuring that network can operate at the highest capacity technology can allow.

If we run the test-net to show that hardware exists today to safely increase block size to a static 8 MB, then we will have broad developer support to make this happen.

Let's get that done. We can continue to adjust the block size upward in the future as technology permits.

Thoughts?