[bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin Core: The globally aware global consensus network

Pindar Wong pindar.wong at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 09:17:00 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 4:33 PM, Michael Naber <mickeybob at gmail.com> wrote:

> Bitcoin is globally aware global consensus.
>
> It means every node both knows about and agrees on every transaction.
>
> Do we need global awareness of every transaction to run a worldwide
> payment network? Of course not! In fact the limits of today's technology
> probably would not even allow it.
>
> Global awareness is a finite resource. That's okay; hub and spoke, or
> other clever designs are going to ensure we can run worldwide transactions
> without requiring global awareness. That's great!
>
> But even if we have hub and spoke, we still need a "hub" at the center.
> Bitcoin Core needs to focus on being that hub. It needs to be the best
> globally aware global consensus network that we can build. Let's put
> aside our differences and focus on this goal.
>
> Part of building the best network means ensuring that network can operate
> at the highest capacity technology can allow.
>
> If we run the test-net to show that hardware exists today to safely
> increase block size to a static 8 MB, then we will have broad developer
> support to make this happen.

Dear Michael,

I'm very supportive of the idea that there should be thorough and adequate
testing of any proposed change in the maximum block size (e.g. to 8MB). See
Peter Todd's earlier posts on the subject.

> Let's get that done. We can continue to adjust the block size upward in
> the future as technology permits.

Let's work together to establish a testing process to establish the
necessary data transparency and real-world telemetry to help remove
uncertainty as best we can.

> Thoughts?

Evan has suggested that Huobi would require in the order of 3 months of
testings, first on a test-net.

http://cointelegraph.com/news/114657/chinese-mining-pools-call-for-consensus-refuse-switch-to-bitcoin-xt

Working back from BIP101's  11 Jan 2016 date, it would appear that such
testing should begin in early-mid October. Hence my offer to host a
face-to-face meeting in Hong Kong October 14-15.

[NOTE: There is a separate, but possibly related blockchainworkshops.org
meeting being planned in HK by Primavera De Filippi and Constance Choi  for
October 12-13. The main meeting room, for 300 people, has been reserved for
this community's use on October 14,15. Cyberport is able to setup IRC,
livestream video etc. and connect with other satellite conference centers
(e.g. one in Shanghai) should that be desired.]

The purpose of such a face-to-face meeting could be discuss the results of
the testing process e.g. the first set of test(s), and engineer any
remaining ones that will be necessary to raise the level of confidence to
help 'mine consensus' for any hard fork.

If anyone is willing to contribute resources to participate in the design,
execution and analysis of such testing, then please post to this thread and
we can take it from there.

Respectfully,

p.