[bitcoin-dev] A possible solution for the block size limit: Detection and rejection of bloated blocks by full nodes.

Pieter Wuille pieter.wuille at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 23:45:09 UTC 2015

The problem with this approach is that you need 100% exact behaviour for
every node on the network in their decision to reject a particular block.
So we need a 100% mempool synchronization across all nodes - otherwise just
an attempted double spend could result in a fork in the network because
some nodes saw it and some didn't. And actually, if we had 100% mempool
synchronization, we wouldn't need a blockchain in the first place, because
we could just use "first to enter mempool" as validity criterion.