[Bitcoin-development] Electrum 2.0 has been tagged
thomasv at electrum.org
Sun Mar 1 15:23:25 UTC 2015
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Dear Bitcoin devs,
I just tagged version 2.0 of Electrum:
The electrum.org website will be updated later today. The release
notes are a bit dense, due to the large amount of changes and new
features in this release. In the coming weeks we will be adding more
detailed documentation to the wiki and to the website.
There has been a very long hiatus in Electrum releases, because it
took me a lot of time to decide about the new seed derivation method
and wallet structure. Now that this part is done, I hope that we will
resume to a faster release pace.
I would like to thank all the people who contributed to this release,
developers, beta testers, but also people from this list who provided
# Release 2.0
* Before you upgrade, make sure you have saved your wallet seed on
* Documentation is now hosted on a wiki: http://electrum.orain.org
* New seed derivation method (not compatible with BIP39). The seed
phrase includes a version number, that refers to the wallet
structure. The version number also serves as a checksum, and it
will prevent the import of seeds from incompatible wallets. Old
Electrum seeds are still supported.
* New address derivation (BIP32). Standard wallets are single account
and use a gap limit of 20.
* Support for Multisig wallets using parallel BIP32 derivations and
P2SH addresses ("2 of 2", "2 of 3").
* Compact serialization format for unsigned or partially signed
transactions, that includes the BIP32 master public key and
derivation needed to sign inputs. Serialized transactions can be
sent to cosigners or to cold storage using QR codes (using Andreas
Schildbach's base 43 idea).
* Support for BIP70 payment requests:
- - Verification of the chain of signatures uses tlslite.
- - In the GUI, payment requests are shown in the 'Invoices' tab.
* Support for hardware wallets: Trezor (Satoshilabs) and Btchip (Ledger).
* Two-factor authentication service by TrustedCoin. This service uses
"2 of 3" multisig wallets and Google Authenticator. Note that
wallets protected by this service can be deterministically restored
from seed, without Trustedcoin's server.
* Cosigner Pool plugin: encrypted communication channel for multisig
wallets, to send and receive partially signed transactions.
* Audio Modem plugin: send and receive transactions by sound.
* OpenAlias plugin: send bitcoins to aliases verified using DNSSEC.
* New 'Receive' tab in the GUI:
- - create and manage payment requests, with QR Codes
- - the former 'Receive' tab was renamed to 'Addresses'
- - the former Point of Sale plugin is replaced by a resizeable
window that pops up if you click on the QR code
* The 'Send' tab in the Qt GUI supports transactions with multiple
outputs, and raw hexadecimal scripts.
* The GUI can connect to the Electrum daemon: "electrum -d" will
start the daemon if it is not already running, and the GUI will
connect to it. The daemon can serve several clients. It times out
if no client uses if for more than 5 minutes.
* The install wizard can be used to import addresses or private
keys. A watching-only wallet is created by entering a list of
addresses in the wizard dialog.
* New file format: Wallets files are saved as JSON. Note that new
wallet files cannot be read by older versions of Electrum. Old
wallet files will be converted to the new format; this operation
may take some time, because public keys will be derived for each
address of your wallet.
* The client accepts servers with a CA-signed SSL certificate.
* ECIES encrypt/decrypt methods, availabe in the GUI and using
the command line:
encrypt <pubkey> <message>
decrypt <pubkey> <message>
* The Android GUI has received various updates and it is much more
stable. Another script was added to Android, called Authenticator,
that works completely offline: it reads an unsigned transaction
shown as QR code, signs it and shows the result as a QR code.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
More information about the bitcoin-dev