[Bitcoin-development] Electrum 2.0 has been tagged

Thomas Voegtlin thomasv at electrum.org
Thu Mar 12 08:56:55 UTC 2015

Hi Andreas,

I don't think it's a problem that BIP43 is tied to BIP32.

What I don't like is that you have to explore branches of the derivation
tree, in order to know if there is a wallet. As a result, it is not
possible for the software to give a negative answer, like "this wallet
is empty", because you do not know if you have explored all the possible
derivations; a new one may have been added after the software was written.

With a version number, you can answer "sorry this seed is not recognized
by me", and you do not need to be online to do that.
If you are online, you can answer "this wallet is empty" after exploring it.