[Bitcoin-development] BIP32 Index Randomisation

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 04:01:45 UTC 2015

This seems overly complicated to me, unless I'm missing something.

Instead, I think you should just give the server the master pubkey P
only without the chaincode.

Then when you transact you generate the address in whatever manner you
like and tell the server the scalar value iL which the user computes
as

iL = HMAC-SHA512(Key = cpar, Data = serP(Kpar) || ser32(i))[first 32
byes],  (per BIP 32).

and the server computes P + iL*G  and checks agreement with the address.

It would be inaccurate to call this private, as the server still
learns this particular relation. (and really users should _not_ be
using the same chaincode with different parties... as it exacerbates
the private key leak risk), but its certainly more private than giving
people the chain code.

The approach I suggest is also not gratuitously incompatible with
hardened derivation, which is what parties should be doing when they
don't actually need a third party to generate future addresses for
them without their cooperation (as appears to be the case here).