[Bitcoin-development] Proof of Payment

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Fri Mar 13 21:31:29 UTC 2015

Hi Kalle,

I think you're thinking along the right lines, but I am skeptical that this
protocol adds much. A saved payment request is meant to be unique per
transaction e.g. because the destination address is unique for that payment
(for privacy reasons). Where would you store the signed payment request?
Probably in the wallet. You could just extract the metadata that's useful
for UI rendering into a separate structure and then encrypt the original
full payment request under the wallet key. At least this is how I imagine
it would work.

So then, if someone can steal a payment request they can probably steal the
wallet signing keys too, and thus signing a challenge with the wallet keys
doesn't add much. It means the wallet doesn't have to store the
PaymentRequest encrypted. But AFAICT that's about all it does.

Do you agree with this analysis?