[Bitcoin-development] Relative CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY (was CLTV proposal)

Matt Corallo bitcoin-list at bluematt.me
Mon Mar 16 22:22:13 UTC 2015

In building some CLTV-based contracts, it is often also useful to have a
method of requiring, instead of locktime-is-at-least-N,
locktime-is-at-least-N-plus-the-height-of-my-input. ie you could imagine
an OP_RELATIVECHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY that reads (does not pop) the top
stack element, adds the height of the output being spent and then has
identical semantics to CLTV.
A slightly different API (and different name) was described by maaku at
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2z2l91/time_to_lobby_bitcoins_core_devs_sf_bitcoin_devs/cpgc154
which does a better job of saving softfork-available opcode space.

There are two major drawbacks to adding such an operation, however.

1) More transaction information is exposed inside the script (prior to
CLTV we only had the sigchecking operation exposed, with a CLTV and
RCLTV/OP_CHECK_MATURITY_VERIFY we expose two more functions).

2) Bitcoin Core's mempool invariant of "all transactions in the mempool
could be thrown into one overside block and aside from block size, it
would be valid" becomes harder to enforce. Currently, during reorgs,
coinbase spends need checked (specifically, anything spending THE
coinbase 100 blocks ago needs checked) and locktime transactions need
checked. With such a new operation, any script which used this new
opcode during its execution would need to be re-evaluated during reorgs.

I think both of these requirements are reasonable and not particularly
cumbersome, and the value of such an operation is quite nice for some
protocols (including settings setting up a contest interval in a
sidechain data validation operation).

Thoughts?

Matt