[Bitcoin-development] Criminal complaints against "network disruption as a service" startups

odinn odinn.cyberguerrilla at riseup.net
Mon Mar 23 05:50:32 UTC 2015

Back to what is Chainalysis and country of their origin, so criminal
complaints against them would likely relate to violation of Swiss
laws, as is described here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=978088.msg10774882#msg10774882

It is fairly obvious that Chainalysis is not merely doing what
blockchain.info etc. is. Let's not delude ourselves here.

As stated, it would be advisable for such a firm to cease operations,
and it would seem that plenty of polite shots over the bow have been
given to Chainalysis, which should now fold up its operation, pack its
bags, and go back to its hole before trying to serve its masters again
in another way. Etc.

Corporations similar to Chainalysis which are domiciled in other
countries which conduct collection of information in ways that violate
countries' laws (there are many countries and each have their own ways
of interpreting user privacy and what constitutes permissible breach
and in what circumstances) can indeed be held to legal standards that
may result in minimal or severe legal penalties.  It is true that
analyzing information that is publicly available, such as that which
is in a library, is not illegal. But the act of surveillance is.
(Then there is the question of what sort of surveillance, targeted or
general, and whether it is limited to the bitcoin network or if it
moves beyond that to attempts to correlate with usernames, IDs, IPs,
and other information available on fora and apparent from services,
but I won't get into that here.)  Even if you argue that the manner in
which you are performing your actions is not actually "surveillance,"
or you argue that it is "legally permissible," someone else will
certainly come along and make a reasonable argument that you are
indeed engaging in illegal surveillance.  They may even suggest to a
judge that you are in the process of constructing a botnet and demand
that your domains be seized, and may successfully obtain an ex parte
temporary restraining order (TRO) against Chainalysis and similar
corporations to have domain(s) seized.  Any and all arguments may be
added in here, there are 196 countries in the world today - each with
their own unique laws - (maybe less by the time you read this) and a
shit-ton of possible legal arguments that can be made by creative
minds that might want to sue you if you have been surveilling people,
each different depending on where your surveillance corporation is
domiciled.  There are plenty of legal processes available for people
to do exactly that.  You are indeed subject to having that happen to
you if you continue to surveill the network even if you are doing so
on behalf of the state for the purpose of gathering information for a
state's compliance initiative.

So, don't delude yourself, and be happy if all that happens is your
little surveillance initiative has to close its doors (or gets sued if
it stays open).  Because that is the legal side of things.  The
extralegal stuff is far worse.  The community is helping you by asking
you gently to close up shop and go away. It is a helpful suggestion
and I believe also a fair warning, again, a shot off the bow.

On the development side, developers are certainly responsible for
doing what they can to resist this kind of surveillance activity.  But
I have a feeling that will be a different thread which is more
technical and so won't comment on it here, except to say it will
likely involve working toward giving the user an anonymity option
which can be exercised as part of any transaction.

Thy Shizzle: