[Bitcoin-development] Mechanics of a hard fork

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Fri May 8 02:16:12 UTC 2015

Well this is all very extreme circumstances, and you'd have to assume no
rational player with an interest in bitcoin would go there, but to play
your analysis forward: users are also not powerless at the extreme: they
could change the hash function rendering current deployed ASICs useless in
reaction for example, and reset difficulty at the same time, or freeze
transactions until some minimum hashrate is reached.  People would figure
out what is the least bad way forward.

Adam