[Bitcoin-development] Proposed alternatives to the 20MB step function

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Fri May 8 10:15:16 UTC 2015

There are certainly arguments to be made for and against all of these
proposals.

The fixed 20mb cap isn't actually my proposal at all, it is from Gavin. I
am supporting it because anything is better than nothing. Gavin originally
proposed the block size be a function of time. That got dropped, I suppose
to make the process of getting consensus easier. It is "the simplest thing
that can possibly work".

I would like to see the process of chain forking becoming less traumatic. I
remember Gavin, Jeff and I once considered (on stage at a conference??)
that maybe there should be a scheduled fork every year, so people know when
to expect them.

If everything goes well, I see no reason why 20mb would be the limit
forever.