[Bitcoin-development] Proposed alternatives to the 20MB step function

Mark Friedenbach mark at friedenbach.org
Sun May 10 22:31:46 UTC 2015

I'm on my phone today so I'm somewhat constrained in my reply, but the key
takeaway is that the proposal is a mechanism for miners to trade subsidy
for the increased fees of a larger block. Necessarily it only makes sense
to do so when the marginal fee per KB exceeds the subsidy fee per KB. It
correspondingly makes sense to use a smaller block size if fees are less
than subsidy, but note that fees are not uniform and as the block shrinks
the marginal fee rate goes up..

Limits on both the relative and absolute amount a miner can trade subsidy
for block size prevent incentive edge cases as well as prevent a sharp
shock to the current fee-poor economy (by disallowing adjustment below 1MB).

Also the identity transform was used only for didactic purposes. I fully
expect there to be other, more interesting functions to use.