[Bitcoin-development] Reducing the block rate instead of increasing the maximum block size

Dave Hudson dave at hashingit.com
Mon May 11 08:16:17 UTC 2015

I proposed the same thing last year (there's a video of the presentation I was giving somewhere around). My intuition was that this would require slowly reducing the inter-block time, probably by step reductions at particular block heights.

Having had almost a year to think about it some more there are a few subtleties:

1) I think it could discourage decentralisation if the nominal 2 week period per difficulty retarget is retained. If we reached 4032 blocks and a 5 minute block time then there would be 2x as many blocks at any given difficulty which increases the odds of a smaller pool finding a block and thus getting a reward. Block rewards would have to drop in proportion to the reduced interval to keep the total schedule of 21M coins on track though, but the reduction in variance is a win for smaller miners.

2) There are limits to the block time. The speed of light is an ultimately limiting factor here, but we would want to avoid excessive orphan rates.

3) There would be some amount of confusion about numbers of confirmations. I actually think that confirmation numbers are a really misleading idea anyway and it would be safer to think in terms of "minutes of security". A zero conf transaction has "zero minutes", while right now 1, 2, 3 and 6 would be "ten minutes", "twenty minutes", "thirty minutes" and "sixty minutes" respectively. If our block time were 5 minutes then 8 confirmations would be "forty minutes" of security; if the block time was 2.5 minutes then 8 confirmations would be "twenty minutes" of security. The "minutes of security" measure indicates the mean number of minutes of the entire network's hash rate would be required to undo a transaction.

4) Reducing the inter-block time reduces the variance in reaching that "sixty minutes" of security level. The variance around finding 6 blocks with a ten minute interval is much wider than the variance for finding 12 blocks with a 5 minute interval.