[Bitcoin-development] Long-term mining incentives

Thomas Voegtlin thomasv at electrum.org
Tue May 12 12:35:02 UTC 2015

Thank you for your answer.

I agree that a lot of things will change, and I am not asking for a
prediction of technological developments; prediction is certainly
impossible. What I would like to have is some sort of reference scenario
for the future of Bitcoin. Something a bit like the Standard Model in
Physics. The reference scenario should not be a prediction of the
future, that's not the point. In fact, it will have to be updated
everytime technological evolutions or code changes render it obsolete.

However, the reference scenario should be a workable path through the
future, using today's technologies and today's knowlegde, and including
all planned code changes. It should be, as much as possible, amenable to
quantitative analysis. It could be used to justify controversial
decisions such as a hard fork.

Your proposal of a block size increase would be much stronger if it came
with such a scenario. It would show that you know where you are going.