[Bitcoin-development] CLTV opcode allocation; long-term plans?

Jorge Timón jtimon at jtimon.cc
Wed May 13 00:38:44 UTC 2015

I like the reuse with negative numbers more than the current proposal
because it doesn't imply bigger scripts. If all problems that may
arise can be solved, that is.
If we went that route, we would start with the initial CLTV too.
But I don't see many strong arguments in favor of using the current
trick later when we're actually running out of opcodes, just that
"CLTV and RCLTV/op_maturity are semantically related". How
semantically related depends on the final form of RCLTV/op_maturity,
but I don't think anybody wants to block CLTV until RCLTV is ready.

So we could just deploy the initial CLTV (#6124) now and then decide
whether we want to reuse it with negatives for RCLTV or if we use an
independent op.
Can the people that don't like that plan give stronger arguments in
favor of the parametrized version?

I've missed IRC conversations, so I may be missing something...