[Bitcoin-development] [BIP] Normalized Transaction IDs

Pieter Wuille pieter.wuille at gmail.com
Thu May 14 00:37:30 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 1:32 PM, Tier Nolan <tier.nolan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 9:31 PM, Pieter Wuille <pieter.wuille at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> This was what I was suggesting all along, sorry if I wasn't clear.
>>
>> That's great.  So, basically the multi-level refund problem is solved by
> this?

Yes. So to be clear, I think there are 2 desirable end-goal proposals
(ignoring difficulty of changing things for a minute):

* Transactions and blocks keep referring to other transactions by full
txid, but signature hashes are computed off normalized txids (which are
recursively defined to use normalized txids all the way back to coinbases).
Is this what you are suggesting now as well?

* Blocks commit to full transaction data, but transactions and signature
hashes use normalized txids.

The benefit of the latter solution is that it doesn't need "fixing up"
transactions whose inputs have been malleated, but comes at the cost of
doing a very invasive hard fork.

--
Pieter