[Bitcoin-development] Long-term mining incentives

Aaron Voisine voisine at gmail.com
Thu May 14 00:48:41 UTC 2015

> increasing the block size is simply not a solution, it's just kicking
> the can down the road (while reducing the incentives to deploy real
> solutions like payment channels).

Placing hard limits on blocksize is not the right solution. There are still
plenty of options to be explored to increase fees, resulting in users
voluntarily economizing on block space. It's premature to resort to
destroying the reliability of propagated transaction getting into blocks.

Child-pays-for-parent is useful, but requires the recipient to spend inputs
upon receipt, consuming even more block space. Replace-by-fee may also
help, but users won't know the fee they are getting charged until after the
fact, and it will make worse all the problems that tx malleability causes
today.

We have $3billion plus of value in this system to defend. The safe,
conservative course is to increase the block size. Miners already have an
incentive to find ways to encourage higher fees  and we can help them with
standard recommended propagation rules and hybrid priority/fee transaction
selection for blocks that increases confirmation delays for low fee
transactions.

Aaron Voisine
co-founder and CEO
breadwallet.com