[Bitcoin-development] BIP for deterministic pay-to-script-hash multi-signature addresses

Thomas Kerin me at thomaskerin.io
Fri May 22 17:28:02 UTC 2015

I wonder are there any other blockers or modifications that need to be
made for this to be merged?

Latest version of the document:
https://github.com/afk11/bips/blob/213e8a27a3a2eaaf44f79221a9f9f888af002801/bip-0067.mediawiki

On 13/02/15 23:43, Thomas Kerin wrote:

> On 12/02/15 22:13, Luke Dashjr wrote:
>> Where is the Specification section?? Does this support arbitrary
scripts, or
>> only the simplest CHECKMULTISIG case?
>
> The BIP is a process for deriving only the type of scripts you would
encounter doing addmultisigaddress. More complicated scripts would
require more metadata to be shared, but the only case we describe is
when given public keys and the number of signatures required.

> You're right, we're missing a Specification. I have tweaked the
document to cover this now.

> On 13/02/15 07:53, Peter Todd wrote:
>> It might be enough to rewrite this BIP to basically say "all pubkeys
executed by all CHECKMULTISIG opcodes will be in the following canonical
order", followed by some explanatory examples of how to apply this
simple rule. OTOH we don't yet have a standard way of even talking about
arbitrary scripts, so it may very well turn out to be the case that the
above rule is too restrictive in many cases - I certainly would not want
to do a soft-fork to enforce this, or even make it an IsStandard() rule.

> It would be interesting, but I agree it should not be brought into
these validation rules - just a convention for people to follow for now.
I think it's fair that implementers are free to order them however they
please. But I think there is good reason for wallets to opt in to the
convention and declare this, for ease of recovery, and for
interoperability reasons.

> --
> Thomas Kerin
is your