[Bitcoin-development] First-Seen-Safe Replace-by-Fee

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Tue May 26 22:18:42 UTC 2015

I think the point is the replacement tx spends the same inputs (plus
additional inputs), so if the original tx is accepted, and your
replacement rejected, thats good news - you dont have to pay the
higher fee, the extra input remains unspent (and can be used later for
other purpose) and the extra change address is unused.

(If you had bundled extra transactions into the replacement, spending
from the additional inputs, then you'll need to resubmit those as a
separate transaction).

(You have to keep in mind re-orgs so for example the original tx could
be put into a block, and then that block could get reorged by another
block that grows into a longer chain with the replacement tx in it (or
vice versa)).

Adam