[bitcoin-dev] Compatibility requirements for hard or soft forks

jl2012 at xbt.hk jl2012 at xbt.hk
Tue Nov 3 05:32:18 UTC 2015

The other strategy is to have an informational BIP to define "safe" use
of Bitcoin.

1. scriptPubKey must be one of the following types: P2PK, P2PKH, P2SH,
n-of-m multisig with m < 4 (with or without CLTV or CSV, we should
define standard use of CLTV and CSV)

2. For P2SH, the serialized script must be one of the standard type

3. No use of unknown transaction version

4. Tx size < 100k

5. If conditions 1-4 are all satisfied, the locktime must not be longer
than 4 years from the creation of the tx

6. If at least one of the conditions 1-4 is not satisfied, the lock time
must not be longer than 6 months from the creation of the tx

7. A chain of unconfirmed transactions is unsafe due the malleability

8. Tx created by wallet software last updated 1 year ago is unsafe

9. Permanently deleting a private key is unsafe (that might be safe if
stricter practice is followed)

We must not introduce a new rule that may permanently invalidate a safe
tx, unless in emergency. Even in emergency, we should try to preserve
backward compatibility as much as possible (see the example at the end
of my message)

Being unsafe means there is a chance that the tx may become
unconfirmable, outputs become unspendable, or funds may be stolen
without a private key.

A grace period of 5 years must be given for "soft-fork" type change of
any of the rules. For example it is ok to introduce new standard script
anytime but not to remove.

Back to Gavin's original question. If you want to somehow keep backward
compatibility for expensive-to-validate transactions in the future, you
may have rules like there could only be at most one
expensive-to-validate transaction in every 10 blocks, until year 2025. I
know this is over-complicated but it's a possible way to address your
concern.

Gavin Andresen via bitcoin-dev 於 2015-11-02 15:33 寫到: