[bitcoin-dev] summarising security assumptions (re cost metrics)

Chris Priest cp368202 at ohiou.edu
Fri Nov 6 23:41:36 UTC 2015

> The bigger point however, which Erik explained, was: widespread use of
> APIs as a sole means of interfacing with the blockchain also
> contributes to reducing network security for everyone, because it
> erodes the consensus rule validation security described under
> "Validators" in the OP.

I completely disagree with this. You are implying that there is some
sort of ideal ratio of full nodes to 'client only' nodes that the
network must maintain. You seem to be implying that if that ideal
ratio is to somehow be disrupted, then security suffers. My question
to you is what is that ideal ratio and what methodology did you use to
come up with it?

The way I see it, the security of the system is independent on ratio
between full nodes and lightweight nodes.

In other words, if there are 100,000 lightweight wallets to 100 full
nodes, then you have the same security profile as one with 100,000
full nodes to 100 lightweight wallets.

I think most 'big blockers' think the same way I do, hence the rub
between the two camps.

Small block people need to make a better case as to how exactly full
node ratio relates to network security (especially the 'for everyone'
part), because the link is not clear to me at all. Small block people
seem to take this simple fact as self evident, but I just don't see
it.