[bitcoin-dev] BIP - Block size doubles at each reward halving with max block size of 32M

digitsu at gmail.com digitsu at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 00:02:01 UTC 2015

Well I'd like to think that with an economy all parts of it interact with each other in ways more complex than simplistic imperative logic.

I agree that the economic majority is essentially what matters in a hard fork but everyone (miners,devs,public thought leaders,businesses) is part of that economy. Additionally what miners signal as their intention affects the decision of that economic majority (and vice versa).  You can see the effects of this in traditional political processes in how preliminary vote polling results affect (reinforce) the final vote.

We also can see the results of this in (dare I mention) the whole XT affair which had the signed intent of many of the economy (payment processors and wallets and one miner pool) and the rest of the miners did not go along with it. This experiment either means that the rest of the miners couldn't be bothered to signal at all (because they didn't know how) or they were affected by the influence of core devs or the opinions of others on the matter and rejected the economic majority.  (Which would imply core devs have some power by way of indirect influence) I would be inclined to believe the latter was more likely.

The conclusion which this would seem to imply is that at the very least, miners matter (to what exact extent is debatable).  And although there is no direct control of any party over the other in the strict sense, the public vocal opinions of any part of the Bitcoin economy does have an effect in its ability to sway the opinions of the other parts.

Digitsu

—
Regards,