[bitcoin-dev] BIP - Block size doubles at each reward halving with max block size of 32M

Jorge Timón jtimon at jtimon.cc
Wed Nov 18 10:15:54 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Shuning Hong <hongshuning at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The time threshold must be set enough in the future to give users time to upgrade. But we can perceive miners' adoption, so if the system knows they haven't upgraded, it should wait for them to upgrade (it would be nice to have an equivalent mechanism to wait for the rest of the users, but unfortunately there's none).
>
> If the majority of the miners never upgrade, how could we treat that
> BIP? Wait forever?

Assuming it was deployed as an uncontroversial hardfork as recommended
in BIP99, the deployment would use versionbits (BIP9) and the hardfork
would timeout.
But this timeout would clearly signal that either the minimum
activation threshold wasn't giving enough time for all users to
upgrade (apparently miners didn't had time) or the hardfork is not
really an uncontroversial hardfork but rather a schism one. Then,
assuming some people still want to deploy it as a schism hardfork,
bip99 recommends using only a mediantime threshold without versionbits
nor miner upgrade confirmation.