[bitcoin-dev] Dynamic Hierarchical Deterministic Key Trees

Eric Lombrozo elombrozo at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 08:45:10 UTC 2015

Tamas,

You could use a key for both signing and for derivation of a deeper
level (and perhaps there are some applications for this, if you think of
any please let me know), but the use cases being considered involve
generation of signing key sequences from seeds that are easy to backup
and easy to share with others to simplify multidevice synchronization,
key management, account structures, etc... while also allowing for
privacy by making it nontrivial to associate transactions for an account
without knowing the seed/chain code.

As such, we generally refer to such sequences by a path to the immediate
parent node in the tree and reserve the children themselves for the
signing keys.

- Eric