[bitcoin-dev] Versionbits BIP (009) minor revision proposal.

Eric Lombrozo elombrozo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 02:54:34 UTC 2015

I can go along with making it optional but recommended for the first deployment and making it mandatory later on. It would be purely informational for now...but it will give us valuable data.

As has been said before, most of these BIP deployments will likely be accompanied by recommended default settings for miners. Assuming the BIP itself is not very controversial, the gravest dangers come not so much from miners (or pool operators, more accurately) deliberately choosing to lie...but more from either shortcuts taken in implementations and/or bugs. Collecting additional data will help spot faulty implementations and allow us to intervene.

Eventually, I imagine a much more sophisticated signaling mechanism where endusers can be given highly informative messages regarding changes and we can have a way of directing people to resources where they can learn more about the new features.

- Eric