[bitcoin-dev] Let's deploy BIP65 CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY!

Mike Hearn hearn at vinumeris.com
Mon Oct 5 11:28:13 UTC 2015

Well, let's agree to disagree on these two things:

- I define "working" for a full node as verifying everything; if a node
starts skipping bits then I'd say it's not really "working" according to
its original design goals

- Saying the pre-fork behaviour is defined and deterministic is true, but
only in the sense that reading an uninitialised variable in C is defined
and deterministic. It reads whatever happens to be at that stack position:
easily defined. For many programs, that may be the same value each time:
deterministic. Nonetheless, it's considered undefined behaviour by the C
specification and programmers that rely on it can easily create security
holes.

In the same way, I'd consider a node running a script with a NOP and
reaching the opposite conclusion from other nodes to be a case of undefined
behaviour leading to a non-fully-working node.

But these are arguments about the semantics of words. I think we both know
what each other is getting at.