[bitcoin-dev] Proposed new policy for transactions that depend on other unconfirmed transactions

Alex Morcos morcos at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 18:45:57 UTC 2015

I'd like to propose updates to the new policy limits on unconfirmed
transaction chains.

The existing limits in master and scheduled for release in 0.12 are:
Ancestor packages = 100 txs and 900kb total size
Descendant packages = 1000 txs and 2500kb total size

Before 0.12 is released I would like to propose a significant reduction in
these limits. In the course of analyzing algorithms for mempool limiting,
it became clear that large packages of unconfirmed transactions were the
primary vector for mempool clogging or relay fee boosting attacks. Feedback
from the initial proposed limits was that they were too generous anyway.

The proposed new limits are:
Ancestor packages = 25 txs and 100kb total size
Descendant packages = 25 txs and 100kb total size

Based on historical transaction data, the most restrictive of these limits
is the 25 transaction count on descendant packages. Over the period of
April and May of this year (before stress tests), 5.8% of transactions
would have violated this limit alone. Applying all the limits together
would have affected 6.1% of transactions.

Please keep in mind these are policy limits that affect transactions which
depend on other unconfirmed transactions only. They are not a change to
consensus rules and do not affect how many chained txs a valid block may
contain. Furthermore, any transaction that was unable to be relayed due to
these limits need only wait for some of its unconfirmed ancestors to be
included in a block and then it could be successfully broadcast. This is
unlikely to affect the total time from creation to inclusion in a block.
Finally, these limits are command line arguments that can easily be changed
on an individual node basis in Bitcoin Core.

Please give your feedback if you know of legitimate use cases that would be
hindered by these limits.

Thanks,
Alex