[bitcoin-dev] Let's deploy BIP65 CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY!

Eric Lombrozo elombrozo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 16:25:53 UTC 2015

You're right about the potential for 1 bad confirmation even with very low frequency...but with an overwhelming supermajority of hashpower, 2 bad confirmations become quite unlikely, n bad confirmations becomes exponentially unlikely in n.

As part of such soft fork deployments, it's true that old nodes might see a bad confirmation on occasion (even assuming overwhelming supermajority hashpower adoptance). So yes, old nodes and SPV clients should probably require more confirmations right around such a transition...or should upgrade. It is entirely possible to make clients warn the user if the block version is unrecognized, which will help to prevent anyone from accepting bad blocks (although SPV security necessarily relies on miners to validate for them).