[bitcoin-dev] Lightning Network's effect on miner fees

Paul Sztorc truthcoin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 15:19:31 UTC 2015

LN transactions are a substitute good for on-chain transactions.

Therefore, demand for on-chain transactions will decrease as a result of
LN, meaning that fees will be lower than they would otherwise be.

However, the two are also perfect compliments, as LN transactions cannot
take place at all without periodic on-chain transactions.

The demand for *all* Bitcoin transactions (LN and otherwise) is itself a
function of innumerable factors, one of which is the question "Which
form of money [Bitcoin or not-Bitcoin] do I think my trading partners
will be using?". By supporting a higher rate of (higher-quality) Bitcoin
transactions, the net result is highly uncertain, but will probably be
that LN actually increases trading fees.