[bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin-NG whitepaper.

Emin Gün Sirer el33th4x0r at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 18:02:15 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

We just released the whitepaper describing Bitcoin-NG, a new technique for
addressing some of the scalability challenges faced by Bitcoin.
Surprisingly, Bitcoin-NG can simultaneously increase throughput while
reducing latency, and do so without impacting Bitcoin's open architecture
or changing its trust model. This post illustrates the core technique:
     http://hackingdistributed.com/2015/10/14/bitcoin-ng/
while the whitepaper has all the nitty gritty details:
     http://arxiv.org/abs/1510.02037

Fitting NG on top of the current Bitcoin blockchain is future work that we
think is quite possible. NG is compatible with both Bitcoin as is, as well
as Blockstream-like sidechains, and we currently are not planning to
compete commercially with either technology -- we see NG as being
complementary to both efforts. This is pure science, published and shared
with the community to advance the state of blockchains and to help them
reach throughputs and latencies required of cutting edge fintech
applications. Perhaps it can be adopted, or perhaps it can provide the
spark of inspiration for someone else to come up with even better solutions.

We would be delighted to hear your feedback.
- Ittay Eyal and E. Gün Sirer.