[bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin-NG whitepaper.

odinn odinn.cyberguerrilla at riseup.net
Wed Oct 14 22:21:19 UTC 2015

This (Bitcoin-NG in concept) could be done as a (issue and pull
request process) to Bitcoin Core itself, amirite?  It seems like it
would provide an interesting issue to open and have healthy discussion
on both mailing list and github, adding the caveat that it would be at
the user's option.  Thus if something like Bitcoin-NG did come to be
it would be something more like a feature that the user could activate
/ deactivate from within Core.  I assume it would be default off, but
with the option to utilize.  Code would thus be available to others as
well.  I am not saying yea or nay on it, just that it seems like this
could be done.

Some notes:

Once a node generates a key block it becomes the leader.  As a leader,
the node is allowed to generate  microblocks  at  a  set  rate
smaller  than  a  predened  maximum.  A  microblock in Bitcoin-NG
contains  ledger  entries  and  a  header.   The  header  contains
the  reference  to the  previous  block,  the  current  GMT  time,  a
 cryptographic  hash  of  its  ledger  entries,  and  a cryptographic
 signature  of  the  header.   The  signature  uses  the  private  key
 that  matches  the public key in the latest key block in the chain.
For a microblock to be valid, all its entries must be valid according
to the specification of the state machine, and the signature has to be
valid.  However, the microblocks, it is said, don't affect the weight
of the chain, because they do not contain proof of work.  It is
assumed by the authors of this model that this situation is critical
for maintaining incentives here.

The questions that then begin to emerge to me are how is this
information managed and protected?  The headers, thus containing
reference(s) to previous block(s), current GMT time(s), cryptographic
hash(es) of ledger entries, and cryptographic signature(s) of the
headers, so forth, and other information.  Can the Bitcoin-NG scheme
be designed or implemented in a manner which supports Stealth sends,
Confidential Transactions, or similar privacy measures?  Or is this
something which cannot be answered at this time?

Emin Gün Sirer via bitcoin-dev: