[bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin-NG whitepaper.

Ittay ittay.eyal at cornell.edu
Thu Oct 15 15:12:23 UTC 2015

Hi Odinn,

I guess to answer we should separate pure-NG from
the hypothetical overlay-NG that runs on top of Bitcoin.
For pure NG one still has to set a transaction bandwidth
limit due to bandwidth and storage limitations of
the individual clients. This rate can be arbitrarily high
with NG without compromising protocol security.

With overlay NG you cannot run above Bitcoin's
bandwidth because all clients must agree on the ledger,
so different clients cannot run at different rates. You
could do two things:
1. Significantly reduce observed latency (time to first
confirmation). Users get better confidence as more
miners adopt NG.
2. Increase the bandwidth once everyone is on
board.

As for privacy - I don't see why NG would change things.
Such privacy schemes are only concerned with the
transaction DAG. NG does not touch this structure. Am
I missing something?

Thanks,
Ittay