[bitcoin-dev] [patch] Switching Bitcoin Core to sqlite db

Luke Dashjr luke at dashjr.org
Thu Oct 29 08:03:50 UTC 2015

On Thursday, October 29, 2015 6:57:39 AM telemaco via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> Why not allow two options:
>
> 1/ a default RocksDB/SQLite/LevelDB (whatever is decided)
> 2/ alternative provide instructions for connection to any other rdbms
> using odbc or jdbc.

I predict this would be a disaster. UTXO storage is CONSENSUS-CRITICAL code.
Any divergence in implementation behaviour, including bugs AND bugfixes, may
cause consensus failure. For this to have a reasonable *hope* of working, we
need to choose one storage engine, and *will* need to maintain consensus-
compatibility of it ourselves (since nobody else cares).

Fixing LevelDB frankly seems like an easier task than switching to anything
SQL-based, which would require a *lot* more *difficult-to-get-consensus-
compatible* code that we are all (or at least mostly) very unfamiliar with.

Research is fine, but let's be realistic about deployment.

Luke