[bitcoin-dev] AT&T has effectively banned Bitcoin nodes by closing port 8333 via a hidden firewall in the cable box

odinn odinn.cyberguerrilla at riseup.net
Tue Sep 1 07:16:47 UTC 2015

Another note on this subject to add to the stuff people have already
mentioned...

If you have the AT&T landline but don't use AT&T's standard internet /
tv (what they call Uverse) offering - that is, if you prefer to use
some local internet provider - you are probably better off (in terms
of avoiding not only this sort of blockage/censorship but as well,
potentially getting a better privacy policy that isn't going to be
like AT&T's long-term data retention).  You can check directly with
the various local small ISPs to see what their policies are
specifically on ports and whatnot.

Ideally your ISP should let you:

port forward to SOMEPORTNUMBER for tcp and udp

(above may or may not be helpful for some if you are using
decentralized markets)

have port 8333 open

(above is for bitcoin of course)

Supposing you have FTTN because you are paying a local ISP for
internet service, and that local ISP has contracted with AT&T to be
able to provide service in an area where old-style DSL has been phased
out, thus your local ISP is essentially providing you AT&T FTTN.
(FTTN is Fiber to the Node, FTTN-BP is FTTN Bonded Pair).  Even if a
local ISP has its own privacy policy posted which is different from
AT&T, everything is subject to AT&T data retention because the FTTN.
So get yourself a VPN (or set up your own) for your connection. Tor
will run through the VPN.

General observations - TWC stores your IP and other stuffs for 6
months or longer.  Same for Comcast.  Verizon retains your stuffs for
18 month minimum, probably longer though. Qwest/Century, 1 year.
Cox, 6 months.  AT&T retains for longer than a year.  This is just
what they are telling you, the reality is it's probably longer due to
stuff like this:
https://www.lawfareblog.com/odni-and-doj-release-last-section-215-collec
tion-order

Zach G via bitcoin-dev: