[bitcoin-dev] RFC - BIP: URI scheme for Blockchain exploration

Matt Whitlock bip at mattwhitlock.name
Tue Sep 1 23:25:33 UTC 2015

On Wednesday, 2 September 2015, at 12:46 am, Jorge Timón wrote:
> But again, the main issue is that we don't want a central authority to
> register unique unique and memorable chain name strings.

Why not? There's a central registry of MIME types. And there's a central registry of TCP/UDP port number assignments. The BIP describing the "blockchain" URI scheme is published by a central authority. For cases where assigning names to numbers is uncontroversial, central authorities don't cause any problems.