[bitcoin-dev] [BIP/Draft] BIP Acceptance Process

Andy Chase theandychase at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 21:36:42 UTC 2015

I understand your concerns. What kinds of changes do you think should go
through a process like this? Just hard forks?

I was thinking that an advantage of making all BIPs use this process is
that it makes it familiar and well used. Kinda like a muscle grows stronger
with use. If only hard forks go through the process then there's the risk
that the process has to be spun up whenever they happen which might cause
confusion.

Another reason I was thinking is that even small, local changes, it doesn't
hurt to have a few more people take a look at it and approve it.

The bureaucracy only applies to BIPs, not PRs. There's only been 18
approved/final/accepted BIPs in 4 years since BIP-0001. That's only about
~5 per year. I get that bureaucracy is often a waste of time, but I just
don't think every second counts for these things.