[bitcoin-dev] Proposal to add the bitcoin symbol to Unicode

Ken Shirriff ken.shirriff at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 21:05:07 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 1:28 PM, Danny Thorpe <danny.thorpe at gmail.com> wrote:

> What of this prior effort, proposing B-with-horizontal-bar (Ƀ)?
> http://bitcoinsymbol.org/
>
> They argue that B-with-2-vertical-bars is easily confused with the Thai
> Bhat currency symbol, which is a B with a single vertical bar.

Actually that page argues that using the Thai Bhat currency symbol *for*
Bitcoin causes confusion. From the page you linked to:

The Thai Baht (฿ <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_baht>) is sometimes
used to represent Bitcoin, but this certainly raises a problem of
differenciation between the Thai Baht and Bitcoin.

Their main motivation for using the horizontal-bar Ƀ (which they admit is a
hack) is they consider adding a character to Unicode to be a "really long
and complicated process". My view is that adding the bitcoin sign to
Unicode avoids confusion with the Thai Baht, avoids hacks such as Ƀ, and
lets everyone use the standard symbol. Hopefully it won't be a really long
and complicated process...

Ken