[bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin Days Destroyed as block selection heuristic

Jorge Timón jtimon at jtimon.cc
Fri Sep 11 18:37:34 UTC 2015

On Sep 11, 2015 1:18 PM, "Christophe Biocca" <christophe.biocca at gmail.com>
wrote:

> It's pretty obvious that Dave is suggesting an alternate tie-breaker:

I thought he was proposing a new consesnsus rule. I see, this would be just
a policy validation that everybody would be free to ignore (like the "first
seen" spend conflict tx replacement policy).

I don't see how miners would benefit from running this policy so I would
not expect them to run it in the long run (like the "first seen" spend
conflict tx replacement policy).
If miners don't use it, I don't see how users can benefit from running that
policy themselves.
They will still have to keep waiting some block confirmation to
exponentially reduce the chances of a successful double-spend attack with
each new confirmation (as explained in the bitcoin white paper).

> Mind you, that risk doesn't apply if we prefer non-empty blocks to
> empty blocks and leave it at that, or only switch if the new block
> doesn't double spend transactions in the old one, so it's a fixable
> issue.

How do you know which of 2 blocks with the same height is "newer"?