[bitcoin-dev] libconsensus and bitcoin development process

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 15:26:50 UTC 2015

Drak,

I would say that the refactoring does actually fulfill some conditions you
mention:
- move-only is almost always clearly separated out
- the refactoring is not controversial _in minimis_ - meaning, the
individual pull request is not controversial.

The problem comes with the impact of an unfocused stream of refactors to
key code.

For example, there is much less long term developer impact if refactoring
were _accelerated_, scheduled to be performed in a one-week sprint.  There
is a lot of breakage, yes, but after that week the average level of
downstream patch breakage is significantly lower.  A "rip the band-aid off
quickly rather than slowly" approach.