[bitcoin-dev] Hash of UTXO set as consensus-critical

Rune Kjær Svendsen runesvend at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 15:45:49 UTC 2015

We need to distinguish between two different things here:

1) A 51% attack, where the majority of mining power is *malicious* (hence “attack”)

and

2) A fork that exists because of a disagreement in the network, with total mining power split in two camps, each camp mining peacefully on their own chain

These are two very different scenarios.

Some claim that including the UTXO set hash in the block creates a vulnerability where miners can include the wrong UTXO hash, and mine on that, but this is only possible if a 51% attack is in effect. And if a 51% attack is in effect, it’s a moot point, because Bitcoin is useless anyway, because that 51% malicious mining power could just as well be used for mining empty blocks on top of the official chain. Or blocks containing randomly generated transactions, without confirming any legitimate transactions. This is why we say that a majority of honest miners is a hard requirement for Bitcoin. A majority of dishonest miners can only be circumvented through centralisation, and then we don’t have Bitcoin any longer.

Scenario 2 is unproblematic regardless of whether we include the UTXO hash in the block (and make it consensus-critical) or not, since the majority mining power on either chain isn’t malicious.

It is correct that if you’re a full node, and a 51% attack is in effect, you are able to verify that miners are honest (ie. you know whether a 51% attack is in effect or not). But this doesn’t change the fact that the Bitcoin network is unreliable, at best, when a majority of mining power is used for malicious purposes.

/Rune