[bitcoin-dev] [BIP Proposal] New "sendheaders" p2p message

Suhas Daftuar sdaftuar at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 18:56:23 UTC 2015

I considered that as well, but it seemed to me that other software on the
network (say, different wallet implementations) might prefer the option of
being able to bump up their protocol version in the future to pick up some
other change, without having to also opt-in to receiving
headers-announcements for blocks.

In particular, inv-based block announcements aren't going away (even in my
implementation of headers announcements, there are some edge cases where
the code would need to fall back to an inv announcement), so forcing all
software on the network to upgrade to supporting headers announcements,
whether now or in the future, seems too drastic -- I could imagine some
software not being very concerned about optimizing block relay in this
particular way.