[bitcoin-dev] Is it possible for there to be two chains after a hard fork?

Allen Piscitello allen.piscitello at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 17:43:55 UTC 2015

>If you start with the premise that more than half of Bitcoin miners would
do something crazy that would either destroy Bitcoin or would be completely
unacceptable to you, personally... then maybe you should look for some
other system that you might trust more, because Bitcoin's basic security
assumption is that a supermajority of miners are 'honest.'

Miners not being crazy does not mean they are infallible.  They may
misjudge the market and change their minds about what is the most
reasonable action based on new information.  Their commitment to one fork
or another is very dynamic, and is a huge assumption missing.  They may
overestimate their influence, support of the economy.  Other factors may
come into play that no one thought of, and they can revert back at any
point.

Labeling things as insane or crazy is not productive.

>because Bitcoin's basic security assumption is that a supermajority of
miners are 'honest.'

Only if you rely on SPV.