[bitcoin-dev] Let's deploy BIP65 CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY!

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Wed Sep 30 04:05:42 UTC 2015

"Wladimir J. van der Laan via bitcoin-dev"
<bitcoin-dev at lists.linuxfoundation.org> writes:
> On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 02:50:31PM -0400, Peter Todd via bitcoin-dev wrote:
>
>> It's time to deploy BIP65 CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY.
>
> There appears to be common agreement on that.
>
> The only source of some controversy is how to deploy: versionbits versus
> IsSuperMajority. I think the versionbits proposal should first have code
> out there for longer before we consider it for concrete softforks. Haste-ing
> along versionbits because CLTV is wanted would be risky.

Agreed.  Unfortunately, a simple "block version >= 4" check is
insufficient, due to XT which sets version bits 001....111.

Given that, I suggest using the simple test:

        if (pstart->nVersion & 0x8)
            ++nFound;

Which means:
1) XT won't trigger it.
2) It won't trigger XT.
3) You can simply set block nVersion to 8 for now.
4) We can still use versionbits in parallel later.

Cheers,
Rusty.