[bitcoin-dev] Let's deploy BIP65 CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY!

Jorge Timón jtimon at jtimon.cc
Wed Sep 30 20:37:08 UTC 2015

On Sep 30, 2015 9:56 PM, "Mike Hearn via bitcoin-dev" <

> Jorge has said soft forks always lead to network convergence. No, they
don't. You get constant mini divergences until everyone has upgraded, as
opposed to a single divergence with a hard fork (until everyone has
upgraded). The quantity of invalid blocks mined, on the other hand, is
identical in both types.

Exactly, all those "mini divergences" eventually disappear (because we're
assuming the hashrate majority has upgraded and non-upgraded miners accept
upgraded blocks as valid), even if the hashrate minority never upgrades.
On the other hand, the "single divergence" in the hardfork keeps growing
forever (unless all miners evetually upgrade.
With softforks, we maintain eventual consistency, with hardforks we don't.