[bitcoin-dev] p2p authentication and encryption BIPs

Jonas Schnelli dev at jonasschnelli.ch
Fri Apr 1 21:09:47 UTC 2016

> I have just PRed a draft version of two BIPs I recently wrote.
> https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/pull/362

Hi.
I just updated the PR above with another overhaul of the BIP.
It's still under heavy review/work, nevertheless – at this point – any
feedback is highly welcome.

Changes since last update:
-> Removed AES256-GCM as cipher suite
-> Focusing on Chacha20-Poly1305 (implementation size ~300L)
-> Two symmetric cipher keys must be calculated by HMAC_SHA512 from the
ecdh secret
-> A session-ID (both directions) must be calculated (HMAC_SHA256) for
linking an identity authentication (ecdsa sig of the session-ID) with
the encryption
-> Re-Keying ('=hash(old_key)') can be announced by the responding peer
(after x minutes and/or after x GB, local peer policy but not shorter
then 10mins).
-> AEAD tag is now the last element in the new message format

It is very likely that the encrypted message format performs slightly
better than the current message format (removing the SHA256 checksum).

---
</jonas>