[bitcoin-dev] Hardware Wallet Standard

Jonas Schnelli dev at jonasschnelli.ch
Tue Aug 16 15:13:33 UTC 2016

> I think it does not make sense to try to get this standardized for
> current Bitcoin transactions. They are just too complex.
>
> What might be interesting is to have something similar for Segwit and
> Lightning transactions.
>
> * TREZOR performs extended validation of the inputs, when all of
> prev-txs are streamed into the device and validated. Your standard does
> not tackle this at all and I don't think it's worthy to make this
> standard unnecessarily complicated.

I'm aware of this approach but I don't think this makes sense long term.
We need a better way on the protocol level to validate inputs amounts
(where segwit is a first step towards this).

IMO, not having a standard for hardware wallet interfaces/communication
will long term result in reducing the end user experience.

I think we should collaborate together and work out a standard.

My goal is to add hardware wallet support in Bitcoin-Core where adding
proprietary code (plugin-ish) is something we don't want to do for the
sake of security and compatibility.

As said, the "BIP" is very draft and I'm happy to include the input
streaming as part of it (or you could add it if you want because you
have more experience with it).

</jonas>